Mittwoch, 11. März 2009

interesting quote

I'd like to dedicate some lines to the following quote, mentioned to me by an undergrad today:

"Biology gives you a brain.
Life turns it into a mind."


It comes from the novel Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides. (Click here for a review in The New York Times Review of Books). I haven't read the book, but looks like very interesting, and it won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2003, which normally is a good indicator of literary quality, I think. The topic of the book, by the way, reminds me of a long overdue posting on queer theory I've been wanting to write for some time now. I'll do that soon. For now, I'd like to say, with respect to the quote above, that I kinda disagree with it, but I'd like to know what other people have to say, before posting my own opinion... So I'll try to discuss the topic with friends, read about it, maybe read some take from some of the readers of this blog, and then I'll post my opinion in a couple of days, taking advantage of the relative quietness of the also looong overdue spring break that starts next saturday.

1 Kommentar:

Unknown hat gesagt…

És veritat. És una gran cita. Potser l'haurem de llegir, aquest llibre.
Petons.